In the summertime, when the weather is fine… we have the Internet of Things on our minds (apologies to Mungo Jerry).
There is a lot going on in the world of IoT and I thought it was time to lay down a few predictions about where I think it is going this year. These are not “go off to the betting agency” predictions, rather trends I see that may just come true by the end of 2018.
- A Very Big Deal(s). Deals connecting 25+ million devices will start to become commonplace. Fitbit was the first, but it will not be the last; I expect at least one more 25+ million deal this year.
- Live Long and Prosper. An LPWAN device (low-power wide-area network) with a battery life of 20+ years will be available, making using IoT for smart cities even more of a no-brainer.
- Show me the Money. Venture capital firms will redirect their funding from the over-supplied horizontal IoT platform market to specific analytics technologies and verticals like retail and manufacturing.
- Secure the Perimeter. The first mass market, device-agnostic adaptive security systems will be commercially available. They will automatically detect an intrusion and any attempt to alter the end-point security, rectify the situation and quarantine the associated data.
- We Told you so. Early adopters and pioneers of the IoT “arms race” will show better 2018 financial results than their competitors. This gap is predicted to grow substantially before it stabilizes.
And one more for free: I would love to see SV Darmstadt 98 – our corporately sponsored football team - have its performance assessed in real time by the Cumulocity IoT-powered Elite Sports Performance Monitoring solution.
Learn more about Cumulocity IoT by clicking below.